Pesto Stuffed Chicken Rolls are both pretty, delicious and can be made ahead of time. So I would say it’s a great meal for family or company. It looks pretty and looks like you have spent a lot of time making it. But the nice think about these chicken rolls is that you can make them ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator for up to eight hours or you can freeze them and bake them at the last minute.
This is another one of the recipes that I got from my friend Judith when we visited her in Charleston. She is an expert at making gourmet meals ahead of time and then surprising us with fantastic food and it all seems very easy because she has made it all ahead. There is no last minute sweating in the kitchen while everyone else is enjoying themselves. This is definitely the way to go. Make a lot of meals ahead of time and you always have a great dish for family or company. Make ahead meals especially come in handy if company shows up at the last minute. Also make ahead meals are great to give as gifts to someone who is sick and not able to cook for themself. Another meal that can be made ahead of time for brunch is Southern Tomato Pie.
What makes this Pesto stuffed chicken rolls so delicious is the mixture of pesto with cream cheese and red bell pepper. The inside is nice and creamy. Don’t be afraid to pound the chicken breasts to get a nice flat piece of breast. Spread the cream cheese mixture combined with the pesto on the inside and you will have a juicy chicken breast after baking.
PESTO STUFFED CHICKEN ROLL
6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 oz. of cream cheese – softened
1/4 cup pesto
1/2 c finely chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup corn flakes – crushed
1/2 teaspoon paprika
chopped fresh basil for garnish
1. Flatten chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap using a mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Combine cream cheese, pesto red pepper, stirring until smooth.
3. Spread 2 T over each breast and roll up length wise. Secure with picks.
4. Combine corn flakes and paprika. Dredge chicken rolls in crumb mix.
5. Place chicken in pyrex that has been coated with cooking spray.
6. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove toothpicks.
7. Slice into 1″ rounds. An electric knife works best.
If you want to make ahead of time. Make up to step 5 above and cover and place in refrigerator for up to 8 hours or over night. Remove from refrigerator, let stand for 30 minutes. Then proceed with steps 6 and 7 above.
Leave a Reply