This Mouth Watering Roasted Chicken with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom, Zucchini Tomato Sauce is a special dish that you will want to lick your plate after eating. Bake the chicken and while the chicken is baking make the mashed potatoes and mushroom, zucchini tomato sauce. I am a pretty fast cook and have made many a delicious dish as the chef/owner of a catering business that I sold recently to pursue food blogging and travel and the good life in Orlando.
I retired from the catering business because my mother is in Florida and has Alzheimers and I need to go to Florida every month. We purchased a house in Orlando and will be moving there permanently in the next few years. So blogging about food and sharing it with you has become one of my passions. Once a Chef, always a chef…… and I just can’t stop thinking about food, ……….good food and ways to make it even better.
This Roasted Chicken with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom, Zucchini Tomato Sauce is one that I would be proud to serve at to any of my catering clients and to share with you!
The Mushroom, Zucchini Tomato Sauce is really a delicious tomato sauce with some lightly sauteed mushrooms and zucchini added to it for a few minutes before it is served.
ROASTED CHICKEN WITH GARLIC MASHED POTATOES AND MUSHROOM, ZUCCHINI TOMATO SAUCE
Roast Chicken ingredients:
6 chicken breasts or 12 chicken thighs per person
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt & pepper
Garlic Mashed Potatoes ingredients:
6 to 8 russet potatoes
1 large garlic cloves or 2 small garlic cloves chopped
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
salt & pepper
Tomato Sauce ingredients:
1 zucchini sliced in circles or half circles
8-10 mushrooms sliced or quartered
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 small garlic cloves or 1 large garlic clove, chopped
1- 28 oz can tomatoes, petite cut
1/4 cup fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt & pepper
1. Preheat Oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a roasting pan by covering with foil.
2. Rub the chicken pieces with the olive oil and then sprinkle top and bottom with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Place chicken in pan and place in oven. Bake for about 30 minutes or until chicken temperature is 150. The chicken will continue cooking after removed from the oven. A good temperature for chicken is 165 but if you wait until it gets to 165 degrees before taking it out of the oven it will be dry when you eat it.
3. Peel the potatoes and chop into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Place potatoes and garlic and salt into pot with water to cover the potatoes. Boil the potatoes until tender. While potatoes cook make tomato sauce.
4. When potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander or strainer and place in bowl or return to the pan, add butter and 1/4 cup milk, whip with a mixer until potatoes are nice consistency. Add more milk if needed. Cover with lid until ready to serve.
5. Place Zucchini and Mushrooms in skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Saute for a few minutes and set aside.
6. In a pot, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, add garlic and saute for 1 minute, add tomatoes, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low/medium heat for about 15 minutes. Add sauteed zucchini and mushrooms. Continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes on low heat. Check sauce and adjust seasoning by adding more salt and pepper if needed.
7. To serve, pour 1/2 cup sauce on plate, place a scoop of garlic mashed potatoes on top and place a piece of chicken on top on the potatoes and if desired an additional 1/4 cup tomato sauce on top of the chicken.