Egg Tostada with Salsa Cream Sauce, Yum! Yes, I was in a creative mood this morning and didn’t think I had anything to make for breakfast. That’s usually a good excuse to go out to eat breakfast on a Sunday morning, but that meant I would have to get dressed and put on a lot of clothes on this cold, snowy day. Actually we are having a heat wave, it’s 22 degrees F. today and wind chill down to 12 degrees F.. It beats the -12 we had earlier this week. So I started looking for something in the refrigerator. I had some tortillas, sour cream, salsa, pepper rings, eggs, cheese and cilantro and started thinking wouldn’t it be cute to put an egg inside each pepper ring. And that is the start of my creation of Egg Tostada with Salsa Cream Sauce. Yum again!
I seem to gravitate towards making mexican or southwestern dishes for breakfast. If you are a subscriber to my blog or like Food Huntress on facebook or Pinterest then you probably noticed that I have several mexican or southwestern breakfasts on this blog, like Mexican Eggs, or Huevos Rancheros, and Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Eggs, Shrimp and Chorizo.
To make Egg Tostada with Salsa Cream Sauce, you will first warm the tortillas in a skillet for a few minutes. The sauce is a combination of sour cream, medium to hot salsa, and mexican cheese.
I just happened to purchase some pre-cut round pepper rings. If you can’t find these precut in the store then you will probably only use one color pepper to make this dish. Having the extra colors makes it more, well, colorful!!!
After sauteing the pepper rings on each side for just a couple of minutes, I then broke an egg into each pepper ring. Then I added 2 tablespoons water and covered until the eggs were to medium done. Place each of the egg and pepper combinations on top of the tortilla and salsa cream sauce.
Sprinkle with cilantro and cilantro for some nice taste and beautiful color contrast.
This dish Egg Tostada with Salsa Cream Sauce makes a great dish for the family, company or a special breakfast and they are so easy to make. Aren’t they pretty?!!!
EGG TOSTADA WITH SALSA CREAM SAUCE
4 teaspoons sour cream
4 teaspoons medium to hot salsa
1/2 cup mexican cheddar jack cheese or sharp cheddar
4 pepper rings
salt, pepper to taste
fresh cilantro, chopped
1. In a skillet, warm each tortilla on each side. Place each tortilla on a plate or platter.
2. In a bowl, combine sour cream, salsa, and cheese and stir. Taste the cream sauce and make sure it is spicy enough. Add salt and pepper if needed. Divide between the 4 tortillas and spread out evenly.
3. Place 2 teaspoons olive oil in a non stick pan and place pepper rings in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes on 1 side and turn. Cook for 2 minutes on second side. Then break an egg into each pepper ring. Add 2 tablespoons water to pan and cover with lid. Continue to cook the eggs until the doneness that you like. I cooked these until the egg was set and the yolk was still runny.
4. Cook the tortilla with the salsa cream in the microwave for 30 seconds and then place each pepper egg combination on top of the a prepared tortillas with the salsa cream sauce.
5. Sprinkle with additional cheese and chopped cilantro and serve.