This is a recipe for Jalapeno Cornbread!
Do you follow a recipe exactly or do you add your own spin on it? Well I don’t usually follow a recipe exactly! I alway make the recipe my own by changing the spices a little or redoing the sauce or making up the recipe myself. Yesterday I made a Spicy Bean Soup that my husband and I loved and I created the dish from scratch without a recipe and I wanted a great jalapeno cornbread to go with it. Of course I went to pinterest to find a recipe and I used one from sweetpeaskitchen.com. Ended up making a few changes because I didn’t have buttermilk, so I used the low fat milk that I had and added sour cream for the tangy taste and I also added some butter. I used 1 chopped jalapeno instead of 3 that the recipe called for and it was spicy enough for me especially since the soup was also spicy.
Let me know if you try the recipe and don’t forget to pin it to pinterest and share on facebook. Thanks for your support! Hope you love it like we did!!
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped with seeds
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup melted butter (cooled)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9 inch loaf pan and set aside. (You can also use a 9″ pie plate or a cast skillet.)
- In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- Add the eggs, milk, sour cream, olive oil and melted butter and stir until mix thoroughly.
- Mix in the jalapeno and cheddar cheese and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 – 10 minutes before slicing. Slice and serve.
Makes about 8-10 servings. Great reheated the next day!
JALAPENO CORNBREAD SERVED WITH SPICY BEAN SOUP