This is a Pork Loin with a Cherry Wine Sauce. Pork and Cherries seemed to compliment each other well. We like a good pork roast at my house but my husband definitely is opposed to dry meat more than me. So he likes fat but I don’t but I still like the pork loin to be moist. Normally a meat thermometer will say to cook a roast to 170 degrees but I find the roast is dry if you do cook it to that temperature.
Do you know how to cook a pork roast to keep it moist? Two things will help to keep the pork loin moist. First a good brine will help to keep the meat moist. Second, remove the roast from the oven early. gDid you know meat will continue to cook after you remove it from the oven? That’s why I always remove it early and for pork I do not let it cook past 155 degrees.
I used a pork loin for this recipe but a pork tenderloin would be a great option also. Bake the pork loin with the seasoning for about 1 hour or until internal temperature is 145 degrees F. and then add one half of the sauce to the top and sides of the pork. Continue baking uncovered until it browns about 10 minutes. Add the remainder of the sauce at that time and continue baking for about 5 minutes.
Remove the pork from the oven and let it sit covered for about 5 minutes. Slice into 1/2 inch slices and serve with additional cherry wine sauce.
Serve with your favorite side dishes. The pearl quinoa and green beans complimented the roast perfectly. We enjoyed a “Layer Cake Pinot Noir” wine with the food.
PORK LOIN WITH CHERRY WINE SAUCE
Brine: 4 cups water
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 chopped onion
6 cloves chopped garlic
1 cup ice cubes
1 Pork Loin
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1-2 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cup red wine
1- 12 ounce jar cherry preserves
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Bring all brine ingredients to boil except ice cubes. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove and cool. Add ice cubes to help cool. When brine has cooled place pork loin in brine and put in refrigerator for 6-8 hours or overnight. If you only have a few hours then that is okay but it is better if brined overnight.
Next day or after pork loin is brined
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Remove pork loin from brine and let it dry a little for about 30 minutes. Generously rub olive oil over the pork. Combine garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl, Rub spice mixture evenly over pork. Place pork loin in a baking dish and add 1/2 cup water. Cover Roast tightly with aluminum foil. Place meat thermometer through foil and into side of pork roast. Cover tightly and bake for about 45 minutes. Check meat thermometer.
3. Make sauce. See directions below.
4. Bake pork loin until it reaches 145 degrees F and then remove foil from roast. Place 1/3 of the sauce on the top of roast and down sides. Remove 1/2 cup juices from bottom of pan and set aside.
5. Return roast to oven and bake for about 10 minutes until roast is brown. Then add an additional 1/3 sauce to the top of the roast and bake for about 5 more minutes.
6. Remove from oven, cover and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Slice and serve with the remainder of the sauce.
1.. For the sauce, place red wine, cherry preserves and dijon mustard in saucepan. Stir and cook until sauce starts to thicken slightly to make a nice glaze for the roast. Glaze the roast with 1/3 of the sauce when roast reaches 150 degrees.
2. When roast has browned slightly add an additional 1/3 of the sauce to the top of the roast at this point and continue to brown for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cover.
3. Add the remainder 1/3 of the sauce to the 1/2 cup juices from the bottom of the pan and cook until slightly thickened.
Use at the table for additional sauce for the pork roast.