TONIGHT I MADE A GLAZED SALMON USING BLACK PEARL SALMON
Black Pearl Salmon are raised in the cold waters of Scotland. They have a meaty orange-red flesh that is tender, moist and delicious. Black Pearl Salmon are grown at low stocking levels, raised on sustainable feed, antibiotic free and are high in Omega-3 fatty acids. I was surprised to find out that the other salmon available at my store are dyed with food coloring to give them their pink color also have antibiotics added to them. The Black Pearl Salmon were about $3.00 per pound more than the nonorganic ones but have the best taste of any salmon I have ever eaten.
HOW LONG SHOULD YOU COOK THE SALMON?
We like our salmon cooked to medium rare keeping the salmon moist and it will practically melt in your mouth. Measure the salmon at the thickest part and cook it for 8-10 minutes per 1 inch of thickness. It will continue to cook after you remove from the heat. I know some of you prefer a little more well-done
salmon so cook it a little longer, maybe 3-5 minutes, but don’t overdo it!!!
TO GLAZE SALMON
I find this combination of soy sauce, brown sugar, and dijon mustard to be really tasty.!!! You do not have to cook the mixture ahead of time to get the nice glazed effect, just combine the ingredients and rub into the meat and then cook on high temperature and you will get a beautiful brown shiny glaze.
This is the easiest recipe to make taking all of 15 minutes and tasty enough for company!!!
- 4 - 1/2 lb salmon fillets
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Rub the salmon fillets with the soy sauce, brown sugar, and the Dijon mustard.
- On high heat add olive oil to a nonstick frying pan. When hot add the salmon fillets and brown on the first side. Don't turn until fillets are a medium to dark brown. A nice glaze should form.
- Lower heat to medium and cook the second side until a nice golden brown for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let salmon sit in pan until rice and vegetable are placed on the plate and this keeps the salmon warm while you are preparing the plates.
- If you prefer a more well-done salmon then cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve the salmon with rice and with your favorite vegetables.