I first had Steak Diane when my daughter made it for me for my birthday a few years ago. I was so impressed, it was an easy dish to make with a lot of flavors that I love, pepper, cream, cognac. Yummy!
There are many recipes available for Steak Diane and I have adapted several of them to come up with this recipe. Assemble the ingredients before you start and the overall preparation will only take about 15-20 minutes.
Beef tenderloin is very tender and Steak Diane is a delicious, creamy and melt in your mouth way to make it. It goes perfectly with scalloped potatoes and your favorite vegetable. Serve with your favorite red wine, I served it with Colores Del Sol Malbec from Argentina 2012 Reserva.
- 4- 4 ounce beef tenderloin fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper or ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 white cap mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup Cognac or Brandy
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon minced parsley leaves
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in pan on medium heat. Add beef fillets and brown on one side for about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn over and add butter. Cook for 1 minute and remove fillets and place on a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Turn down heat, and in the same pan add onions, and garlic and saute for 1 minute and then add mushrooms. Saute mushrooms until soft.
- Add the cognac. Have the pan tilted away from you and light the cognac with a match and stand back. Have a lid available to put over the flame. Or if you don't want to light the cognac (it's a little dangerous) just continue to cook down on low for a 2 minutes.
- Add the beef broth, worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce cream and cook for 1 minute. Return the beef fillets to the pan to coat with the sauce.
- To serve, Place beef fillets on your serving plate and top with the mushroom cognac sauce. Sprinkle the chopped green onions and parsley on top.